I've recently started using public transportation to commute to and from work. Let me just say, for me at least, it is AWESOME! I get to avoid traffic, I don't have to drive and I get to read, nap or do whatever on my way.
However, like almost everything, there are some downsides to this.....
1. Availability of trains. You have to adhere to the trains schedule. And if you miss your train, you just gotta wait for the next one. Or (as was my case this morning) if you miss your stop there is no asking to turn back or just stop here so I can quickly jump off the train. Here I was reading my book, not able to hear the announcer and suddenly I hear we are heading to a station that I've never heard of. Great, I missed my stop. So I just got off at the next available spot hoping I could catch an Uber or the Metro. The signs for the Metro were pretty useful and obvious so I just walked to the nearest station and made my way back. Hopefully I won't make that mistake again!
2. Random people talking to you (strangersation). Sure sometimes I don't mind striking up a conversation with a stranger. BUT if I've got my nose in a book, chances are I don't really want to talk to you. And I can see you out of the corner of my eye trying to also read my book. Go back to staring at your cell phone like the rest of the passengers. Another issue I had with a strangersation situation, was as follows.......Here I was standing next to the platform, waiting for the train to arrive. Typically people stand in a semi line to get on because everyone gets on anyway, no need to push past people in case the doors close quickly. Up comes this lady behind me and starts talking to me about the shoes the woman in front of me is wearing, as if I had known both of them for a least several weeks. She is still talking as the train arrives. Everyone starts moving towards the door, she's still talking and next thing I know, she's getting on the train ahead of me. What just happened!?!? Did she purposely strike up a strangersation so she could get in front of me, thus insuring she would get a seat and I would end up standing? (which is what happened) How rude! He feet didn't even touch the floor when she was seated, I mean seriously. Then of course she was as silent as a door once she had her seat.
3. There is really is nothing else. Occasionally I'll have to stand for a few stops, but since I sit all day anyway, it's not a big deal and it's not every time.
So I highly recommend taking public transportation if it's available to you. You won't regret it. Just make sure you pay attention to where you are. Set an alarm or something for a few minutes before you are supposed to get off, that might help.
No comments:
Post a Comment